October 11, 2022

To know Greenville Detective Myiesha Stewart was “to love her and respect her work”

Therese Apel

Greenville Detective Myiesha Stewart
Greenville Detective Myiesha Stewart

UPDATE 2:30 P.M. WEDNESDAY: Press Conference held by Mayor Errick D. Simmons

The Mayor of Greenville Errick D. Simmons held a press conference to give more information. He opened the press conference by saying,

“Today we feel the hurt of a 3-year-old son left without a mother. We feel the hurt of a mother and a father beside me here that have lost their daughter. We feel the hurt of a police department that has lost an officer. The family is hurting.”

The mayor clarified that MBI is investigating but said that he knew four people were shot in total, including Detective Myiesha Stewart.

He said Detective Stewart was working extra hours on a different case this weekend when the incident happened.

“She was a wonderful officer. To know her was to love her and respect her work.”

Detective Myiesha Stewart was an outstanding mother and she protected and served her community, officials said.

Mayor Simmons said prosecution could take up to a year.


This morning, Mississippi Department of Public Safety Commissioner Sean Tindell released the name of the officer killed in the line of duty Tuesday night.

Detective Myiesha Stewart was shot multiple times in a situation that broke out near Reed and Rebecca streets in Greenville. She leaves behind a toddler.

Further details have not yet been released. We will update as we receive more reliable information.


A Greenville police detective is dead after a line of duty shooting Tuesday evening.

According to the Mississippi Bureau of investigation, which is now leading the probe into the incident, a suspect was injured and is in police custody being treated in a hospital.

Greenville Mayor Errick D. Simmons issued a statement on Facebook around 10:30 Tuesday night.

“I have learned of an officer-involved shooting that occurred this afternoon near Reed and Rebecca Streets in Greenville. Several people were injured by gunshots, including an investigator with the Greenville Police Department who has unfortunately passed away as a result of the incident,” he said. “Department of Pubic Safety Commissioner Sean Tindell has been notified and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation will conduct a thorough investigation into this matter. Greenville Chief of Police Marcus Turner, Sr. and I have visited with family of the deceased officer and we asked on behalf of the family for your continued prayers, condolences, and support during this very difficult time.”

The detective’s name has not been officially released at this point.

From WLBT’s coverage: “Law enforcement sources tell 3 On Your Side that a male victim was shot in the head by the suspect, and a female was allegedly shot in the foot by the suspect. The suspect and the man he allegedly shot have been airlifted to a Jackson hospital. The victim’s condition is not known at this time.”

As we have worked to verify this information and get more details, several conflicting accounts are being told to us. We will continue to update the story as we receive reliable information.

Share this Article


Related Articles