September 21, 2021

Suspect in Brookhaven homicide behind bars after chase, manhunt ending in Walthall County

Therese Apel

Zayrick Taylor
Tarvauirs Lyons, 23, was found shot in the head, lying on a Brookhaven street

A murder suspect is behind bars in Lincoln County after he led several agencies on a high speed chase.

Zayrick Taylor, 23, was accused in the Sunday morning death of Tarvauris Lyons, 23, who was found shot in the head on Vanzie Street in Brookhaven. Police were unable to locate Taylor immediately, and a manhunt ensued.

Sheriff Steve Rushing said his agency received word on Monday that the suspect was believed to be in Pike County. The Pike County Sheriff’s Department was able to locate Taylor and initiated a pursuit into Lincoln County. The pursuit went back south on Highway 583 into Walthall County, and Lincoln County requested assistance from Walthall County.

Walthall deputies put out stop sticks on Highway 583 near West Sunny Hill Road, and as Taylor approached he drove the car off the road and fled on foot into some nearby woods. Authorities with Walthall, Lincoln, and Pike sheriff’s offices, the Walthall County Constable’s Office, the Tylertown Police Department, the Mississippi Department of Corrections, Mississippi Highway Patrol, and Mississippi Department of Transportation established a perimeter and after around 30 minutes, Taylor surrendered to police.

According to the Daily Leader’s Brett Campbell, Taylor was charged as an adult in 2015 for burglary, carrying a concealed weapon and discharging it inside city limits.

In late 2016 he was charged with aggravated assault, armed robbery, burglary of a dwelling, as well as possession of a controlled substance.

In 2017, he was charged with two counts of possession of a stolen firearm.

In 2018, Taylor pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact of burglary of a truck. He was sentenced in Lincoln County Circuit Court to seven years in prison, to serve three with four suspended, and to complete four years post-release supervision.

In 2019, he was sentenced to 10 years with credit for time served for aggravated assault — amended from attempted murder, plus five years post-release supervision. He was also ordered to remain outside Lincoln, Pike, and Walthall counties during his term of supervision.

Share this Article


Related Articles