Several schools are closing ahead of the severe weather threat today.
According to the National Weather Service, significant severe storms are possible over a large portion of the area this afternoon into early Wednesday morning. Strong tornadoes, some possibly significant and long-tracked, are possible.
WLBT reported a list of the closures and early dismissals happening across the state in preparation for the storms.
- Canton Public School District – early dismissal at noon, all after-school activities canceled
- Claiborne County School District – after-school activities canceled
- Holmes Community College – all campuses close at noon
- Sharkey Issaquena Academy – early dismissal at noon
- Madison County School District – MCS Preschool will dismiss at 10 a.m., elementary schools at 11:30 a.m., middle schools at 12:15 p.m., Rosa Scott School at 12:20 p.m., and high schools at 12:30 p.m.
- Mississippi Achievement School District – early dismissal at noon
- Natchez-Adams School District – elementary schools dismiss at 11:30, all others dismiss at noon
- Porter’s Chapel Academy in Vicksburg – closed
- Simpson County School District – offices close at noon, elementary schools dismiss at 12:15 p.m., and all others dismiss at 12:30 p.m.
- Simpson Academy – elementary schools dismiss at 12:30 p.m., all others dismiss at 12:50 p.m.
- Vicksburg Warren School District – schools and offices are closed
We will keep you up to date with the latest.