On Monday, the Jackson Police Department released a list of tips the public can use to avoid being the victim of a car thief:
- Never leave your car running unattended, even to dash into a business, store;
- Never leave any keys in the car or ignition, inside a locked garage, or in hide-a-key boxes;
- Always roll up your windows and lock the car, even if it is parked in front of your home;
- Never leave valuables in plain view, even if your car is locked. Put them in the trunk out
- Always park in high-traffic, well lighted areas, when possible;
- Install a mechanical device that locks the steering wheel, column, or brakes. These devices
will deter some criminals;
- Investigate the purchase of a vehicle theft tracking/security system, especially if you own
one of the frequently stolen model vehicle;
- Copy your license plate and vehicle information (VIN) numbers on a card and keep them
with you. If your vehicle is stolen, the police will ned this information to take a report; and
- If your vehicle is stolen, report it to the police immediately.
Remember, there is no guarantee that your car will not be stolen, but taking precautionary measures can minimize your chances of becoming the victim of auto theft.