November 23, 2021

Ellisville man and his dog killed in fire apparently caused by space heater

Therese Apel

Fatal house fire in Ellisville

An Ellisville man and his bulldog are dead after a fire authorities said was caused by a space heater.

The Jones County Sheriff’s Department,the Ellisville Police Department and the Ellisville Fire Departments are investigating the fatal structure fire.

Jones County Fire Investigator Sgt. J.D. Carter said the fire was reported at 3:01 a.m. Tuesday. The single story wood frame home was burning heavily upon the arrival of Ellisville Fire Department units.

Early investigations indicate that a space heater is the likely cause of the fire, coupled with substandard electrical wiring.

Derrick Evans, 40, was wheelchair bound and was unable to escape his burning home. He was declared deceased on the scene by the Jones County Coroner’s Office. His pet bulldog was also found dead in the fire.

“Our hearts go out to the family and friends of Mr. Evans,” said Jones County Sheriff Joe Berlin. “We hope that they may somehow find peace and comfort in the wake of this tragedy.”

The Mississippi State Fire Marshal’s Office will be on the scene later this morning to continue the fire investigation.

Share this Article

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email
Share on print
Print

Related Articles