The City of Madison has added a new history marker to their list of 20+ markers including the “John Curran House”, the “Madison County Courthouse”, the “Farr Mercantile Company”, and many more.
The new marker is for the “World War II Airfield Hangars”, located on the east side of Old Canton Rd., just north of the Madison Airport.
The sign reads: “In 1940, the Mississippi Institute of Aeronautics built this airfield and hangars to train Army Air Corps cadets. First named Robins Field, it was renamed Augustine Field in the fall of 1941. More than 3,000 pilots trained here on Boeing PT-17s and Fairchild PT-19s. Deactivated in 1944, the airfield reverted to the city, which used the hangars for community square dances in the 1950s. The airport was renamed Bruce Campbell Field in 1953. In use since 1940, the hangars are listed in the National Register and a Mississippi Landmark.”